where to truncate?

Mike Lyda mike at lyda.us
Tue Jun 6 12:58:36 EST 2006

I have Planet set up and pulling in feeds, but the only problem is the
feeds were built by non-tech folks and so lack summaries and instead have
content sections with like 5k of text.  see what I mean
here  http://sculptorssource.com/   (note that one of the bloggers thought
it was cool to include a 2592 x 1944 image.  cool, eh?)

So how do I truncate their giant entries down to a nice summary like
this:  http://fullasagoog.com/   and how can I force their images to
display at a certain (maxsize=180) size so the images don't take over?

Or.. can I check for a summary and if one exists then use it.. and if not
then truncate the content down to say 60 words?