Non-modification patches

Sam Ruby rubys at
Tue May 23 08:35:53 EST 2006

Morten Frederiksen wrote:
> Hi,
> Attached are two patches -- of which I recommend the latter
> (planet-conditional-output.diff), which includes the former -- that
> makes the output of planet runs cachable in the sense that the
> generated files are only updated when the contents change. More
> precisely: When the cache isn't updated, neither is the output.
> Background and additional information:
> Comments and suggestions are of course more than welcome.

First suggestion is that a test case would be most helpful.  Something
like the following:

Second, the implementation you provided wouldn't help me.  If you take a
look at my following, you will see that at least one of my subscriptions
doesn't support ETags:

Finally, and just FYI... the way mine installation works is to output to
a work directory that I subsequently rsync to the final destination.

- Sam Ruby