Dates

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 04:03:22 EST 2009

2009/9/10 Sam Ruby <rubys at intertwingly.net>:
> Matteo Calorio wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm a new user of Planet-Venus, a great piece of software I was looking for
>> since some time. I use it to cache some feeds when I can't follow them for
>> some time. I use Akregator to actually read the news from an installation of
>> Planet-Venus on a server. I use planet-venus 0~bzr95-2 on Debian Squeeze
>> (Planet Venus 95). Everything works like a charm, but I have problems with
>> dates:
>>
>> 1. with this feed (and only with this) all articles are dated 1:59AM or 2:00AM
>> of the correct day:
>> http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus/topnews/synd/ansait_site_topnews_synd_Today_Idx.xml
>
> The feed has a problem with the pubdates provided:
>
> http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ansa.it%2Fsite%2Fnotizie%2Fawnplus%2Ftopnews%2Fsynd%2Fansait_site_topnews_synd_Today_Idx.xml
>
> In particular, no time zone information is present.
>
>> 2. in Akregator I see the dates on which articles were downloaded from
>> original servers, but I would prefer to see the original article dates: is it
>> possible with some configuration?
>
> No.  If the dates can't be resolved, Venus will assign the current time.

Whoops, I see I replied to this earlier without CC'ing the list. I
said much the same thing to Matteo, but suggested that a local fix
could be supplied:
"
The universal feed parser corrects a lot of bogus date patterns, but
not this one (as you've found), so it's guessing. It is fixable - see
http://feedparser.org/docs/date-parsing.html

and the section on registering new date formats, which you could do in
spider.py.
"